Monday, July 27, 2009

I Will Happily Share Him


We have three daughters...currently ages 11, 9 and 3. On a recent family camping trip, conversation around the fire, while enjoying s'mores, somehow turned to boyfriends and dating. I don't even know how we got there. The interesting part was that it was the 3-year-old who was vehemently proclaiming her desire to date and have a boyfriend. My husband and I looked at one another, saying everything with our silent expressions..."We have our work cut out for us". I now another reason to hope that Jesus returns soon.

The next day we were all splashing around in the waves of Lake Erie, having a great time. Suddenly, the 3-year-old grabs her dad's face and plants a kiss on him, informing him afterwards that they were now "dating" and that he was her "boyfriend". I looked at her and asked her "What about me...his wife?" She kindly allowed that we could "share him".

Considering the conversation of the previous night, I am happy to share him with my girls. He can set the precedent on how they should expect to be treated when they are dating...in the way, far away future. It will take some special young men to live up to the bar he sets for them.

No comments: