Sunday, November 2, 2008

He's Been Doubly Good to Me

Tonight I picked the movie. Now, before you expend too much sympathy for my husband, please know that I watch a lot of noble cause-driven warfare movies and sports movies. I have seen so many explosions and flying body parts that . . . I digress.

So, tonight we watched a "romantic comedy". He was a total trooper, too. It really was more of a poignant movie with a few funny parts. It was about a young married couple, of which the husband dies from a terminal illness and the wife must carry on. I must admit that I could never have watched it in a theater. It was hard enough to remain mildly composed in my own living room (I didn't want to freak him out totally). As I dabbed my eyes at the end of the movie (not the first time either), I was pondering why it was so easy to tap those emotions. And it's because I could completely relate to the emotions of that wife because I have had the privilege and blessing of loving someone else and being loved. I get to live out that commitment of "for better or worse" every day -- and every day has fallen into either one category or the other. The reward is how you survived them all together.

There are so many people in our culture searching for that someone to love and to love them and they are driven to make bad choices because of it. They are married multiple times. They place themselves in risky and questionable situations hoping to find "the one". Were we the lucky ones? I don't know how I emerged from the process of finding "the one" without a whole lot of scars, but I'm grateful for where I am now.

It was twenty years ago this past summer that we met. Three kids, a little drama here and there, a couple of homes, handful of cars and jobs later, I totally look forward to growing old together (some days feel like we are speeding towards that :) ). At our wedding, my sister sang an Amy Grant song titled "Doubly Good to You". It still applies today.

Doubly Good to You
If you see the moon, Rising gently on your fields.
If the wind blows softly on your face.
If the sunset lingers, While cathedral bells peal,
And the moon has risen to her place,
You can thank the Father for the things that He has done.
And thank Him for the things He's yet to do.
And if you find a love that's tender, If you find someone who's true,
Then thank the Lord --He's been doubly good to you.

If you look in the mirror,At the end of a hard day,
And you know in your heart you have not lied.
And if you gave love freely,If you earned an honest wage,
And if you've got Jesus by your side,
You can thank the Father for the things that He has done.
And thank Him for the things He's yet to do.
And if you find a love that's tender, If you find someone who's true,
Thank the Lord --He"s been doubly good to you.

You can thank the Father for the things that He has done.
And thank Him for the things He's yet to do.
And if you find a love that's tender, If you find someone who's true,
Thank the Lord --He's been doubly good to you....
Thank the Lord --He's been doubly good to you.

No comments: