Friday, April 23, 2010

Such a Nice Thing to Hear

The note on my Facebook "wall" said

I heard this said about you today, "She has such a heart for the Lord." and thought that you would love to know! Thanks for ALL you do.

Such a nice thing to hear about yourself. It started an interesting mix of thoughts and feelings for me as I considered it.

First of all, since we are called to be a light in the world, witnessing to others by putting our faith into action...doesn't it feel great when someone notices it? I considered all my blessings that make it so easy to have "a heart for the Lord"... a relationship with God because of the sufferings of Jesus, married to my own personal superhero, the blessing of being the mom to three beautiful girls, the world's best parents/sister/extended family (in-laws included), wonderful friends, the unearned privilege of being born in the best country in the world...and on and on and on.

But then I start analyzing...considering the comment made, am I joyful because I brought glory to God or prideful because I brought glory to myself? The analysis continues...I know what my actions and thoughts were for the entire day...am I worthy of such a comment? I know that many (if not most) of my actions or thoughts on that particular day, and even this morning, were not for the Lord.

One of the weapons that Satan will use to weaken our faith and our relationship with God is doubt. While it is true that we, as sinners, are unworthy of the precious gift of salvation, that gift was still freely given. And I have to work at focusing on the love God has for me, to make such a gift available. I can't focus on why God shouldn't love me, but do my darnedest to be worthy of His love for me...a love so strong and deep that He planned for and allowed the sacrifice of His Son for me.

And when someone gives me a little "hat tip" regarding my faith in action, maybe that's God's way of letting me know that I'm on the right track and I'm growing where I've been planted. Because it is my heart's prayer that others see less of me and more of Jesus in all I do...that I can complete the work that God has given me so that, at that appointed time, when I enter into Heaven's gates, I hear "Well done, thy good and faithful servant" (Matthew 25:21).

Other verses to consider ~ Romans 5:8, Romans 6:23, Ephesians 2:8-9

No comments: