Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Slugbug Prayers

Allow me to begin by confessing that I have not YET mastered the discipline of getting up early every morning for some quality quiet time with my Bible...and a thorough prayer session. I realize that confessing the weakness is the first step towards overcoming it...please pray for me!

With that said, you can understand that I need as much help as possible to make the most of the power of prayer. So I have developed/copied/stolen various triggers and routines that will bring me into a prayerful moment. For example, I participate in a long distance slugbug competition with my sister in California and my cousin in Arkansas (and, now my mom...wherever she may be at any given time). When any of us sees a Volkswagon Beetle, we text the others, accumulating points for the day (no slugging...just the prize of daily victory). There are extra points for convertibles and vintage models (we call them "old school"). This may seem silly to some, but I don't care. What this does is keep us connected on a daily basis. And, whether I see a slugbug and text them, or I receive a message from one of them on a sighting...that triggers me to say a prayer of thanks for these special ladies...perhaps petitioning God on their behalf regarding something going on in their life...asking for blessing on them and their loved ones. This children's game reminds me to pray for them.


And I have other similar triggers in my daily life....while folding laundry, pray for each garment's owner, making each prayer specific because there will probably be more than one prayer said for each person...pictures and mementos around my home remind me to pray for various family members and friends...see a news story or article, pray for those involved and that God's will be done...and, when I lay down to sleep, to quiet my brain from the day's activities and tomorrow's to-do list, I pray specifically over my husband and my children, and all that is going on in their lives. It's a chance for me to give thanks for all the blessings in my life and to hand over any burdens to Him who loved me so much that He gave His only Son so that I may believe and not perish (John 3:16). This allows me to enjoy peaceful rest.

Several years ago, I spent some time in the Bible study by Cynthia Heald titled "Becoming a Woman of Prayer" (you can order it here). I learned volumes about how God is listening...how He wants us to be persistent...that we can pray for anything. And I drew comfort from knowing that the Holy Spirit will lift up the prayers we really need when we may not know what to pray for. Prayer has given me comfort when moments of worry and doubt may be sneaking up on me. And I've seen the results of prayer in my life...in the big life issues and the daily challenges that a stay-at-home homeschooling mom can face. I am thankful that Jesus tore the veil separating me from God...through dying for my sinfulness...so that I can approach the throne of the Holy Father myself and build a relationship.

So, I recommend that you work on understanding the power of prayer. Develop your prayer habits. You will come to develop a peace that will help you manage life through any circumstance.

1 comment: