Monday, August 24, 2009

Imagination


I love to watch a child's imagination in motion!! And it can come out in quiet, pretend play with toys...or loud, rowdy play out on the trampoline. Perhaps it has been spilled on to a piece of paper and can now be called art. However it shows up, I am always surprised by what they come up with. It reminds me that playing and pretending are fun and limitless.

My second daughter is always exercising her imagination. Her history includes cutting shapes out of paper which look meaningless or abstract to anyone else. But she colors them and they become characters in her mental plays. She can sit quietly at the table playing with pens or plastic spoons...each one taking on a personality and acting out some adventure created in her mind. One day, I turn the corner from the hallway and find her in this position.

"Rachael, what's wrong?"
"Nothing."
"What are you doing?"
"Pretending to be a starfish."

Obviously.

No comments: