Friday, October 12, 2012

Lessons from Guatemala

It has been my pleasure and privilege to be visiting Dorie's Promise Orphanage, operated by Forever Changed International, in Guatemala this past week.  As my trip begins to wrap up, I wanted to share some lessons learned or refreshed.


  1. I take a roof that doesn't leak for granted.
  2. I take a roof that doesn't fall for granted.
  3. I take water that I can drink directly from our tap for granted.
  4. I take the privilege of being born in the United States for granted.
  5. I take space for granted...as I saw large family members crowded into one room   homes...and one room homes stacked nearly on top of one another.
  6. The list of life's blessings that I take for granted is long.
  7. Just because I can't see the poor and their communities...it doesn't mean that they cease to        exist.
  8. Our culture may "over mother" a bit, as compared to barefoot babies running among the dump community and toddlers given entire pieces of chicken (i.e. with the bones)...I'm just saying.
  9. A smile can bridge any communication gap.
  10. My high school Spanish FINALLY paid off.
  11. Even a little time invested into a life makes an impact.
  12. Praying for others is a blessing.
  13. The fatherless will find mercy in God (Hosea 14:3).
  14. For the Lord has comforted His people, and will have mercy on His afflicted (Isaiah 49:13).

No comments: