Friday, December 11, 2009

Favorite Invention Friday!!!

OK...OK...I realize that I have been totally slacking on my FAVORITE INVENTION FRIDAY the past handful of weeks. I really don't have a good excuse...I certainly have modern day conveniences that I have been enjoying. Perhaps, just a bit too indecisive...maybe lazy? Let's go with "too busy"!

Moving along...

As the Christmas season motors along and I continue my gift choosing expeditions, I feel compelled today to celebrate the computer, printer and the Internet (My spell check feature determined that this word was spelled wrong until it was capitalized. Hmmm...). Now, at the risk of revealing too much, I can not tell you why I adore these items...but I promise to do so...soon. Perhaps on Christmas...after all the gifts have been opened. Make sure that you are utilizing all the tools available to you as you pick out gifts for loved ones!

UPDATE: Here's some, if not all, of the ways I've leveraged my computer, printer and the Internet for my Christmas gift planning.

  • Hacked my way into my mother-in-law's account at Snapfish, lifted a wedding picture of her and my father-in-law, and had copies made for them and the families of my sisters-in-law.
  • Asked by a friend to get on IM, found my husband's uncle and his pictures of the barns on the farm that my mother-in-law grew up. Contacted the uncle for permission, copied the photos, uploaded them to Snapfish and ordered copies for all my in-laws.
  • Armed with the request for artwork for a specific spot in her home by my mom, printed off scanned artwork (you can find it here ) created by my girls and decoupaged a painted canvas for it.
  • Contacting my sister's coworkers through her Facebook friends list...so I could get contact info for her local Miche Bag dealer and surprise her with an early gift on her desk.
  • Searching Amazon and Half.com for a specific gift book that I had seen in this YouTube video shown here.
  • Inspired by a Donna Summer related Facebook status by a friend, I remembered that my sister had a Donna Summer album when we were growing up. Found a used one through Amazon and had it shipped to her.
  • While visiting a blog, I came across an advertisement for an artisan on Etsy. Was able to peruse the creator's selection to order and ship to my sister.
  • After not finding the denim jacket my dad was wanting in any brick-and-mortar...I lucked out at JC Penney's click-and-order.

2 comments:

Old Centennial Farmhouse said...

I agree..internet is wonderful, I've done a ton of cyber-shopping this year....beats the crowds any day!
XoXo
Joni

Unknown said...

Today one of my reasons came to fruition. I was able to contact my sister's coworkers through her Facebook page and arrange a surprise Christmas gift for her. Such fun!