Friday, November 13, 2009

Favorite Invention Friday!!!


I know...I know...they are not the most attractive piece of furniture ever created. But this week, I had one of those moments where I was thankful for our...recliner. You see, when we were expecting our first child and building a new home twelve years ago, I placed the request for something big and comfy...that rocks and reclines. Well, there is not a lot of trendy furniture that does those things...and I was already lulled into accepting unattractive things after wearing maternity clothing for several months...so we bought a recliner. And I loved it!! I can't count the number of evenings that I rocked one of my baby girls, humming that one song that was special between her and I (there was a different song for each one). Or the afternoons, napping with an infant, the best blanket in the world according to my husband, laying on top of my chest. I remember watching the Canadian Olympic team from that chair quite a bit during the 1998 Olympics because only a Canadian channel, in our basic cable package, was carrying the winter Olympics in the middle of the night. And I have numerous pictures of the girls sitting together in that chair with their dad (they were usually sleeping).

I was reminded this week of all these special memories when my four-year-old joined me in the chair for some morning storytime. I loved the big armrests that could hold us both cozily. I loved kicking our feet up on the foot thingie and covering up together with a blanket. If I had gone with an old fashioned rocking chair or one of those gliders twelve years ago...we would not still be sharing that chair and those moments. It dawned on me while I was sitting there, that it won't be long before I won't be able to enjoy that chair with her anymore. My firstborn is way too big to join me...the nine-year-old might but would have to pull all of her limbs in tight, insuring she won't last long. So, I will savor it while it lasts.

And if you are an expectant mom, I encourage you to duck the allure of style and flair when looking for that special chair to rock in with your baby...instead go with the ol' recliner because I bet it will allow for a lot more memorable moments that go beyond those first few months.

1 comment:

Old Centennial Farmhouse said...

I LoVe our recliners...we've had one since our first little house and ever since, and I must say, they are not stylish or attractive, and they always throw them out of a room re-do on HGTV....but I think we shall always have one. There is no better place to nap, is there?
XOXO
Joni